- “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realised how seldom they do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Wild animals run from the dangers they actually see, and once they have escaped them worry no more. We, however, are tormented alike by what is past and what is to come. A number of our blessings do us harm, for memory brings back the agony of fear while foresight brings it on prematurely. No one confines his unhappiness to the present.” – Seneca
- “There’s just so much going on in my mind, sometimes I can’t keep up with what’s going on around me.” – Amanda Jade Briskar on A Healthy Place
- “I say “sorry” a lot, mostly because I feel everything is my fault.” – Unknown
- “All this hurrying from place to place won’t bring you any relief, for you’re travelling in the company of your own emotions, followed by your troubles all the way” – Seneca
- “If a person doesn’t know to which port they sail, no wind is favourable.” — Seneca.
- “Today I escaped anxiety. Or no, I discarded it, because it was within me, in my own perceptions — not outside.” — Marcus Aurelius.
Your body’s natural reaction to stress or fear is generic anxiety. When you’re moving into a new place, appearing for a test or an interview often develops anxiousness. Such fear and nervousness motivate you to perform better by giving your hundred percent.
However, some people feel apprehended of what’s going to happen? They are in constant stress, which shouldn’t occur in a normal situation. If you suffer from such unpleasant feeling that is bothering and hindering your growth over a period time, then it is medically termed as an anxiety disorder.
It is essential to address it professionally as hundred other people who had anxiety, are now, living stress-free life with the help of treatment. Read on to know the best methods to get medications for pressure and anxiety.
Is Anxiety Medication Available Over the Counter?
Fluctuating heartbeat, difficulty in falling asleep, sweating, body shivering, and restlessness are significant signs of anxiety. It causes unintentional problems in everyday living. To combat anxiety symptoms, there are various medications that most physicians prefer.
Any person going through mild or significant anxiety cannot take the medication from an over-the-counter store. A pharmacist is not in a position to give you anxiety medication without a written prescription from an authorized doctor.
Why is anxiety medication not available over the counter?
Anxiety disorder can only be treated using prescription-based medicines. The medicines are meant to perform on the central nervous system. It works by blocking the pain messages traveling between the nerves and the defective area.
To achieve this crucial function, anxiety pills are the specific medications used in the process. They are categorized under the controlled substance act by the food and Drug Administration, situated in the USA.
To get the anxiety medicine; a doctors’ prescription is required. However, other health supplements like magnesium or herbal products do not perform on the brain, instead, they fulfill the missing nutrients causing anxiety, do not require a written prescription, and can be purchased easily from the over-the-counter store.
What Is Practical Anxiety Disorder?
Do you hesitate to enter an elevator or cross any street? It’s a sign of anxiety. To give room for such feeling in your mind is not healthy at all. One day it may stop your movement; you may find yourself locked in the room. You will not feel like stepping out of the house to meet your friends or attend a party.
Anxiety is the feeling of fear and stress that stays with you for months and years. The intensity of anxiousness increases day by day. It keeps you deprived from participating in the things you love. You feel like staying alone and avoiding social gatherings. Make sure to address it professionally before it gets worse.
It is one of the generic emotional syndromes that may affect people from different age groups and genders. The American Psychiatric Association has analyzed that women are likely to suffer from anxiety than men.
An individual dealing with anxiety is often concerned about future and upcoming events. Muscle tension is one of the associated concerns, forming anxiety signs.
Diagnosis and treatment to manage practical anxiety disorder
The physical disorder often triggers anxiety, so do take the initial step of the background check efficiently. Once the report is clear, with no physical evidence causing mental stress. Your doctor may diagnose the parameters indicating mental stress origin. Seeking the best treatment will assist you in overcoming fearful conditions.
Here is the distinct nature of treatments, including:
Each treatment has its unique characteristics, and it has shown positive results among many patients over the years. You may choose any of them or take them in combination for improved mental health.
Using Medication to Manage Practical Anxiety
Your physician may hook you with the type of medication that will give you more benefit, with lesser ill effects. Anxiety medications are of different types belonging to a different class of drugs.
- Anti-depressants: Many mental practitioners prescribe antidepressants due to their curative potency. It is the first choice of drugs due to its ability to generate a relaxing and calming sensation in the brain.
- Benzodiazepines: Your physician may prescribe any of these drugs if you have extreme panic attacks or anxious feelings. Xanax is the brand name of the generic alprazolam that has shown efficiency in lowering anxiety.
- Anticonvulsants: Another kind of drug that helps in preventing seizures and anxiety. Many symptoms are tackled with anticonvulsants.
- Antipsychotics: It is primarily used to manage delusions, paranoia, negative thoughts, or hallucinations. Doctors prescribe lower dosages to prevent habit-forming.
- Beta-blockers: The primary purpose is to block the epinephrine hormone, also known as adrenaline. It results in a moderate heartbeat with lower blood pressure.
- Opioids: It is one of the leading candidates in stopping the antidepressant from growing. It works by blocking discomforting sensations and unpleasant feelings. Medications such as Tramadol, Tapentadol, and Carisoprodol are potent opioid medications performing on the central nervous system, making a person feel relaxed and calm.
- Other treatments include psychotherapy: Counsellors are the anxiety therapists who use the talking technique, which is efficient in understanding the emotions that affect a person’s behavior. The counselor is a trained specialist who calms you by giving relaxing tactics. They understand your issue by listening to your thoughts and feelings, which help you to manage the sensations and thoughts effectively.
What to ask your doctor before taking Anxiety Medication?
You may ask your doctor why he has recommended a specific medicine when there are other options available?
Before giving any medication, a doctor examines the person’s health. He decides which medicine should be prescribed after weighing the potential benefits against the side effects.
Get to know the potential side effects that may cause once you start the dosage.
As you are aware that all the medications have side effects ranging from mild to moderate. The milder one is the potential generic effects reflected in most people after starting with the antidepressant course. Understanding the range and intensity of impact will help you take the proactive action of suppressing the effect and preventing them from turning severe.
When can you see the potential improvement in health?
Ask them to help you with the possible tenure, in which you may observe the positive change and feel relief. Ask them about how much time a single dose will take to absorb in your system and perform its mechanism.
Ask any doubts or concerns if you have?
Do not blindly start consuming until you are firm with your decision. If you are not clear with any active or inactive substance, ask them. Take your effort to research before you put any medication in your system.
Get to know about the duration of the course?
How long can you take medicine? Can you take it for a few days? A few weeks? Over a month? More than six months? Or a year? The doctor’s response will depend upon your health condition. However, antidepressants are usually should not be consumed for more than three weeks.
Take regular updates on your health by staying connected to your doctor.
Antidepressants are not like antibiotics. Your physician informs you of the daily dosage along with the weekly schedule. Once you finish with the course, you never consult or discuss with your doctor about the condition again.
When you are on anxiety pills, you need to be in constant touch with your doctor. Inform them about the good and bad reactions your body is emitting. Send the observations to the physician for proper advice. It will help your doctor adjust the dosage or give some alternative if side effects are increasing day by day.
Alternatives to Anxiety Medication
Here are the few lifestyle changes that you need to bring to improve anxiety.
Have a balanced diet
Eating healthy is essential, whether you have anxiety or not. Including proper nutrients may help you to prevent other disorders also. Fruits and Vegetables may help you to obtain the vitamins and calcium necessary for your mental growth. Avoid having sweets and processed food as it may increase the risk of weight gain.
- Avoid deep-fried items, as it may lead to heart problems.
- Avoid drinking alcohol; it may lead to an imbalance of your hormones and invite other unhealthy conditions
- Do not drink coffee; caffeine may trigger a panic attack and stress.
- Cut on sugar level; to stay healthy physically and mentally.
Follow exercise regimen
Exercise is suitable for keeping your body flexible and healthy. Daily physical activity helps in lowering stress and anxiety. Your immune system also functions properly.
Plenty of sleep
If you are finding it difficult to sleep, your negative thoughts will attack you creating more stress and depression. Manage to have a good eight hours of sleep. Adequate sleep leads to a healthy mind and body.
These toys help in increasing the level of focus, reduce weakness, improve sleep schedule and assist in managing anxiety efficiently. Although the healthcare service provider has not given a defined response with regards to its healing ability, many individuals have sworn by these toys. Fidget toys are one of the top-rated and most used anxiety tools among people.
Natural Anxiety Technique
Meditation: It helps to change your perception and the way you respond to the situation around you. It relaxes your mind by transmitting soothing sensations and tackling negative thoughts. Meditation increases the ability to focus on inner self and ideas.
Breathing techniques: This technique helps you have a firm control on your breathing, which helps you prevent irregular breathing during any anxiety-associated event. Sitting with your back straight, keep a count on your breaths. Inhaling and exhaling make your lung strong bypassing the maximum air. The more oxygen in your body will help to evaporate the negative thoughts.
Yoga: Yoga is a mixture of breathing techniques, body stretching, and meditation. Yoga is one of the top natural anxiety techniques to combat stress and fear from the affected person. Regular yoga sessions will help you to stay relaxed and happy.
Natural Anxiety Medication
Many researchers have stated the benefits of using natural remedies and herbal products to fight fear and anxiety. Herbal medications are organic; they will not have severe side effects, unlike anti-depressants. However, consult your doctor regarding which brand to take and in which proportion should you consume.
- Vitamin B-12 helps in improving memory, concentration, and other psychological disturbances. You can find natural vitamin B-12 in animal meat and fish. Chicken, beef liver, salmon, and tuna fish are enriched with this vitamin. Seaweed and kelp are the primary vegetarian source of vitamin B12.
- Chamomile tea helps in providing a soothing effect.
- A good carbohydrate supplement helps in reducing anxiety.
- You can obtain L-theanine naturally through a mushroom; again, it helps with anxiety.
- Other health supplements and multi-vitamins may also boost you in battling nervousness and fear.
Your body and mind should function under your ownership. Take the leadership of your thoughts. Try to cope up with signs and negative thoughts that may accelerate stress. No treatment will give you much relief unless you have more precise belief and control over your thinking.
Focus on learning the stress management methods and implementing natural techniques that will give you better results. Take advantage of social media, which has support group’s that functions online. You may join that group, share your feelings, learn the new healing techniques and still be anonymous. No one will judge you; this is the beauty of the online world.
On the other hand, your doctor is always a step away from you. You can have a close interaction with your doctor, if you have anything to share and talk about. Monitor your own progress; it will make you understand how far you have come. Give yourself a pat on your back that you have accomplished your goal by conquering over the stress and fear.