What is depression?
Depression is a typical mental condition across the globe; an estimated 3.8 percent of the world's population is affected, including 5% of the adults and more than 5.6% of adults over 60 years.
according to the World Health Organisation -Approximately 280 million people in the world have depression.
Depression is distinct from regular attitude oscillations and short-term emotional reactions to challenges in day-to-day energy. Specifically, when recurrent and with medium or extreme intensity, depression may become a severe fitness circumstance.
It can force the concerned individual to suffer significantly and perform poorly at position, school, and family. At its worst, depression can lead to suicide.
Every year, around 700,000 individuals commit suicide. Suicide is the fourth leading cause of mortality among those aged 15 to 29.
Even though there are recognized, effective treatments for mental diseases, more than 75 percent of people in low- and middle-income nations do not obtain any.
Obstacles to adequate treatment are-
- A deficiency of aids.
- Shortage of qualified healthcare providers.
- The social stigma associated with cognitive disorders or mental health issues.
People with depression are frequently misdiagnosed and administered antidepressants in nations of all income levels, while those who do not have the disorder are frequently misdiagnosed and supplied with antidepressants.
Key points to remember-
According to American Psychological Association-
9 percent- The percentage of men daily face feelings of depression.
1 in 3 - One in every three of those men takes mental health medication.
1 in 4 - One in every four men reaches mental health professionals.
30.6 percent - The percentage of men who have suffered from a period of depression.
What are the Signs and Symptoms?
Following are some of the many symptoms from which we can understand the mental illness that men face in their life.
- The mood can rise all of a sudden and drop all of a sudden!
- You became angry out of nowhere.
- You start taking a lot of wrong decisions
- Your drinking habit rises.
- You find yourself constantly exhausted.
- You tend to stay alone.
- Your sex libido is falling
- You may lose or gain weight for no apparent reasons (Ogrodniczuk, J.S. and Oliffe, J.L., 2011)
What are the Different types of Depression?
There are many types of depression. Understand various types of depression and their specifications so that you can identify them to cure the pressure you are getting on your shoulders. Always remember- that mental illness and similar mental health problems, even depression, can be treated with proper psychological treatments. So never ignore the symptoms and never be in denial of the mental problem.
Clinical depression is when you are diagnosed with the problem of depression by a doctor.
This is the traditional name that medics give depression when they make a diagnosis.
Recurrent depressive disorder
Recurrent depressive disorder happens when you face two or more consecutive depressive episodes.
If your depression was triggered by difficult events in your life it is called Reactive depression.
Dysthymia is very long-term depression. It is confined when you face depression problems for more than 2 years.
Cyclothymia is something that one faces constant mood swings for more than a year.
Manic depression is another name for bipolar disorder.
What Causes Depression in Men?
There are many causes of depression in men. It can be observed in various medical tests that there are many causes of the problem of depression in men, more importantly, these causes can be identified and can be worked around by each individual.
In some or other critical cases, the concerned person can even take proper help from a psychologist or someone similar to that. Multiple causes can trigger the condition of depression in men and they are as follows.
- Environmental stressors- Some life experiences faced by any individual may trigger his depression like problems faced by unexpected economic crises etc.
- Genetics- This is a very important cause of triggering depression in men. There might be certain life histories in someone life where that issue can be the main cause of triggering anxiety in men.
- Medical condition- Some mental health conditions can be a triggering factor for every man in depression.
These are some of the causes of depression in men. After understanding more about depression the question carries is - Is depression more common in men or women?
Well, that's something to be answered sometimes later!
Points to Remember
- Depression affects more women than males.
- Depression is a typical mental condition across the globe; an estimated 3.8 percent of the world's population is affected, including 5% of the adults and more than 5.6% of adults over 60 years.
- Every year, around 700,000 individuals commit suicide. Suicide is the fourth highest cause of death among young people aged 15 to 29.
- People who suffer from depression are frequently misdiagnosed. Many nations, including those of various income levels.
- There are many types of depression. Never ignore the symptoms and never be in denial of the mental problem.
- Environmental stressors, Genetics, and Medical conditions are some of the causes of depression in various men.