Duloxetine is a medication that belongs to the SNRIs class that is selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors and is primarily used to treat depressive disorders, anxiety, neuropathic pain that occurs in the case of diabetes, fibromyalgia and heals chronic back pain due to arthritis.(Wernicke, J.F., 2007)
Duloxetine medication aids mental stability and deals with depressive episodes, general anxiety disorder, and even pain. This medication works by increasing serotonin, the happy hormone and noradrenaline in the brain that leads to improvement in mood, appetite, sleep, and energy levels.(Boomershine, C.S., 2009)
This medication should strictly not be consumed if you are dealing with the following conditions:
- Do not take this medication if you have taken MOA inhibitors recently or within fourteen days.
- Avoid the use this medication if you are allergic to duloxetine hydrochloride, which is an active ingredient in this drug.
- Do not take this medication if on Mellaril.
- Low amount of sodium levels in your blood
- Have a history related to suicidal thoughts or suspicious behavior.
- Overdosage of this medication can lead to adverse side effects such as serotonin syndrome. Do not overdose on this drug.
- Do confab with your doctor if you are on any other medication as this medication can interact with other drugs such as tramadol, diazepam, warfarin, which can be lethal.
- This medication causes excess dizziness or drowsiness, so do not exert yourself when on the medication.
These are a few warnings that one must remember.(Bitter, I., Filipovits, D. and Czobor, P., 2011)
Duloxetine: How To Use It?
- Before consuming medication, do check the label or the leaflet of the drug.
- You can take this drug with or without food but in the case of nausea, take this drug with food.
- You can take the capsule directly or dismantle the capsule and inject the sprinkles.
- Swallow the medication directly and do not chew it.
The dosage of duloxetine depends on the following aspects:
- Other health conditions diagnosed
- Treatment through this medication
- Age factor
For Major Depressive Disorder:
- INITIAL DOSAGE: 20mg to 30mg per day orally
- MAXIMUM DOSAGE: The dosage for this medication is 120mg per day orally, which can be taken once or twice depending on the prescribed amount.
- MAINTENANCE DOSAGE: 60mg
For Neuropathic Pain Or Fibromyalgia
- INITIAL DOSAGE: 30mg once a day.
- MAXIMUM DOSAGE: The dosage for this medication is 60mg per day orally, which can be taken once or twice depending on the prescribed amount.
Duloxetine: Side Effects:
The side effects of this medication can be common or adverse in any situation inform the doctor.
Common Side Effects:
- The common side effects are as follows:
- Loss of appetite
- Excess sweat
- Nausea or vomiting
- Weight loss
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Dry mouth or dehydration
These are a few common side effects that do not linger for too long and heal in a few days.
Adverse Side Effects
The adverse side effects are as follows:
- Serotonin syndrome
- Lower sodium levels
- Worsening depression, anxiety
- Suicidal or pessimistic thoughts
- Allergic reactions
- Doubled vision or bloody red eyes
- Liver problems
- Seizures or triggering epilepsy
- Hypertension or high blood pressure
These are a few adverse effects that one may experience.(Wulster-Radcliffe, M. and Viktrup, L., 2005) Do not overdose or take this medication without a doctor’s consultation, which can be hazardous. In such a situation, call the doctor or contact the health line number 911 or 800-273-8255. (suicide prevention number)
Duloxetine: Who Cannot Take It?
Do not take this drug if you suffer from:
- If you have any kidney-related issues
- If you suffer from heart-related issues
- Any eye condition, namely glaucoma
- Epilepsy fits or seizure
- Diagnosed with the bi polar disorder
- If pregnant or breastfeeding, consult the doctor before taking this medication as it can be harmful to the unborn child.
- Do not indulge in herbal remedies ST john wort when you are under treatment.
- These are a few treatment warnings.
This medication is highly effective. Studies and research state that medication treated about 80% of cases when it comes to treating depressive disorders, anxiety disorders, pain-related issues. However, do check the precautions that one needs to take or can even take a toll on your life. Do take precautions to avoid caution.(Suhara, T., 2006)