There might be many people who might have heard about Ativan helping with curing Anxiety disorders. Not only that but the medicine is used for various conditions. Many people suffer from Anxiety, insomnia, and sleep disorders in the US.
The reason for it might be the stress they take and other problems which affect their brain and cause fear, uneasiness, and inability to sleep. Millions of people go through these conditions in the US, and people might suffer at least once throughout their lives.
Due to the common cause within people, they use various ways to get rid of the conditions; if no other natural option works for them, they turn over to medicine. Lorazepam, like medicine, can be a great option; as we say, some good things also come with adverse effects, so Lorazepam has negative consequences that cause many problems to the person's health. Know about the side effect like Lowering blood pressure due to Lorazepam would affect severely or a common cause.
What is Lorazepam?
Lorazepam is sold under the brand name Ativan. It contains sedating properties. It is a prescription-only drug; you can get this medication online, so be aware to buy Lorazepam online.
Lorazepam treats Anxiety, insomnia, stress, seizures, and alcohol withdrawal. It is well known that all of this is connected to blood pressure.
How Does Lorazepam Work?
Lorazepam belongs to benzodiazepine drugs. Medicines that fall under this drug class work the same. Regarding the working pattern of medications, it only differs when there is a different drug class.
In terms of Lorazepam's working pattern, once you have consumed the medicine, the brain's calming chemicals increase, known as GABA (Gamma amino butyric acid). The medicine's working will depend on different factors such as health conditions. After the medication starts to work, you will be able to feel calmer and lower Anxiety and seizure pain.
Lorazepam And Blood Pressure
Lorazepam calms you down and slows down your central nervous system, brain, and body functions. Your physiological processes, like breathing, heart rate, blood pressure, etc., slow down. It decreases the blood flow in the arteries and lowers blood pressure. Blood pressure Symptoms may include:
- Falling easily.
You need to tell your doctor about any blood pressure medicines you may consume or if you suffer from any blood pressure problems.
Low blood pressure is considered to be a common side effect of Lorazepam. The good news is that, in most cases, the changes in blood pressure have been marginal. Nevertheless, if you or your loved one are on Lorazepam, you must keep an eye on symptoms related to low blood pressure.
How Does Lorazepam Affect Your Heart?
There are chances of addiction because it directly impacts the brain. As the condition cannot be there for a shorter period, the options of advising Lorazepam can be low. The medicine is mainly suggested to consume for a short period. The main thing is Lorazepam affects the heart and other health conditions due by lowering the heart rate and also the Blood pressure.
Lowering Heart Rate With Lorazepam
You would only find a low heart rate when the drug is being abused. This would happen only when you have consumed the medicine more than recommended. A slow heart rate is also known as Bradycardia. A person suffering from a slow heart rate due to Lorazepam would significantly impact adults. Your heart rate is expected to be lowered due to Lorazepam medicine, even if you take it as prescribed.
Long Term Affects on the heart Due to Lorazepam
When taking more than recommended medicine, side effects can get worse. This will affect the liver, kidneys, and heart the most. The impact of consuming Lorazepam would include:
- Changes in heart rate,
- Circulatory problems,
- Heart rhythm problems,
- Cardiac arrest.
If you are abruptly stopping consuming the medicine, it will affect the heart the most. You might also suffer from a heart attack as well. To avoid a heart attack by abruptly stopping the medicine, you can lower the dosage slowly and stop the medicine consumption.
Precautions of Lorazepam
Everyone should take precautions whenever they are about to take medicines. Medicinal compounds can affect the body if you are not consuming medicine as prescribed. You have to inform your doctor about a few things while consulting, such as:
- If you are allergic to Lorazepam
- If you are pregnant because it can affect your health
- If you are an asthmatic patient
- If you have ever suffered from kidney or liver issues
- If you have been through seizures problems
- If you have been through depression or any suicidal thoughts
Interactions of medicines happen due to the medicinal compounds present in the medicine. If you have consumed, two different medicines that interact with each other can lead you to severe effects and even cause death. Medicines that you should not consume are as follows:
- Medicines that treat mental illness
- Herbal products
Bottom Line From Practical Anxiety Solutions
In a nutshell, Lorazepam does lower your blood pressure, but it is very marginal. Lorazepam is a sedative drug and is not suitable for long-term use. Lorazepam is mainly prescribed for short-term use, so it will not significantly affect your blood pressure.
If you are having high blood pressure issues, either high or low, or are on blood pressure medicine, then you need to keep a check on your blood pressure after consuming Lorazepam.
When used in the short term, Lorazepam can prove to be beneficial. Lorazepam can cause addiction. It is essential to consume only as much as is required. Finally, maintain a healthy lifestyle to maintain good blood pressure.
- Ghiasi N, Bhansali RK, Marwaha R. Lorazepam. [Updated 2022 Feb 7]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532890/ Obtain On 31/10/2022
- Ulrich Tholl, Klaus Forstner, Manfred Anlauf, Measuring blood pressure: pitfalls and recommendations, Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, Volume 19, Issue 4, April 2004, Pages 766–770, https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfg602 Obtain On 31/10/2022
- Stamler J. Blood pressure and high blood pressure. Aspects of risk. Hypertension. 1991 Sep;18(3 Suppl):I95-107. doi: 10.1161/01.hyp.18.3_suppl.i95. PMID: 1889862. Obtain On 31/10/2022
- Wessely S, Nickson J, Cox B. Symptoms of low blood pressure: a population study. BMJ. 1990 Aug 18-25;301(6748):362-5. doi: 10.1136/bmj.301.6748.362. PMID: 2400856; PMCID: PMC1679910. Obtain On 31/10/2022
- Riva-Posse P, Reiff CM, Edwards JA, Job GP, Galendez GC, Garlow SJ, Saah TC, Dunlop BW, McDonald WM. Blood pressure safety of subanesthetic ketamine for depression: A report on 684 infusions. J Affect Disord. 2018 Aug 15;236:291-297. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2018.02.025. Epub 2018 Feb 21. PMID: 29525051. Obtain On 31/10/2022
- Tulen, J.H.M., Mulder, G., Pepplinkhuizen, L. et al. Effects of lorazepam on cardiac vagal tone during rest and mental stress: assessment by means of spectral analysis. Psychopharmacology 114, 81–89 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02245447 Obtain On 31/10/2022