How Long Does Imipramine Stay In Your System?

Imipramine is an antidepressant medication sold under the brand name Tofranil. It comes under a class of medication called tricyclic antidepressants. It is used to treat depression as well as bedwetting in children under the age of six.  It is available as tablets and oral liquid medicine.

Imipramine treats depression by increasing the amount of natural neurotransmitters, such as norepinephrine, in the brain, which is needed to maintain mental balance (Kuhn, R., 1958).

Side-Effects:

Common side effects of imipramine include,

  • Nausea
  • Drowsiness
  • Excitement or anxiety
  • Dry mouth
  • Changes in appetite or weight
  • Constipation
  • Excessive sweating
  • Difficulty urinating

Dosage:

You should always only take the amount of imipramine prescribed by your doctor.

Medical conditionInitial dosageMaintenance dosageMaximum dosage
Depression in adultsInpatients: 100mg/day Outpatients: 75mg/dayInpatients: 100-200mg/day Outpatients: 50-150mg/dayInpatients: 300mg/day Outpatients: 200mg/day
Pediatric Dose for Enuresis(6-12yr olds)25mg/day50mg/day2.5 mg/kg/day
Pediatric Dose for Enuresis(12-18yr olds)25mg/day75mg/day2.5 mg/kg/day

If you miss a dose, take the medication as soon as you remember it. Skip the missed dose if it’s time for your next dose, and continue your regular dosing schedule.

Note:  Taking Antidepressants showed an increased risk compared to placebo of suicidal thoughts in patients, especially adolescents, children, and young adults in studies of major depressive disorder (MDD) and other psychiatric disorders.  (Saraf, K.R., Klein, D.F., Gittelman-Klein, R. and Groff, S., 1974)

How Long Does Imipramine Stay In Your System?

The average half-life of imipramine is around 19 hours. Half-life refers to the time taken by your body to reduce the medication in your blood by 50 percent. Usually, about 80% of imipramine is removed through urine, and the rest 20% through feces.

The duration time of imipramine depends on several factors such as age, metabolism, frequency, and more. Since every person’s body functions differently, the time taken to eliminate imipramine from your body might vary.

There are different types of tests available to determine how long imipramine stays in your body. The average time imipramine stays in your urine, blood, and hair is,

  • Urine: imipramine can be found in your urine for around 3-4 days.
  • Blood: imipramine can be found in your blood for up to 24 hours.
  • Hair: imipramine can be detected in the hair follicles for approximately 90 days.

Factors That Influnce The Stay Of Imipramine:

Age: an individual’s age influences how long a drug stays in their system. A younger person’s organ and metabolism are better than his older peers. Meaning if the patient is young, it will take less time for imipramine to leave the system than the older patients.

Body (height/weight/ fat): the amount of imipramine your doctor prescribes depends on your height, weight, and fats. Taking more than the recommended dosage will extend the time taken to eliminate the drug.

Genetics: genetic factors can also influence how long imipramine stays in your body and affect the reaction of imipramine in the body.

Kidney and liver functions: your liver and kidney are responsible for processing and eliminating everything you put into your mouth. If your liver or kidney is damaged, then, in turn, it will take a longer time for you to eliminate the drug.

Metabolism: the faster your rate of metabolism, the faster it will take for you to process foods, liquids, and medication, including imipramine. Thus if you have a slow metabolism rate, it will take longer to get rid of the drug.

Usage frequency: the frequency at which you have been using imipramine also defines how long it will take for you to get rid of the drug. If you are taking imipramine at high dosages frequently, it will stay in your system for a longer time and vice versa.(Jensen, T.S., 2003)

Synopsis:

  • Imipramine is an antidepressant drug used to treat depression and bedwetting in children.
  • The average half-life of imipramine is 19 hours.
  • The time for which imipramine stays in your body varies from person to person
  • Many factors like age, body composition, metabolism rate, frequency of the drug, etc, influence the stay of imipramine.
Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave Your Comment

Recent Post