The fact that “Fishes can’t live without water” holds true in the case of humans too. The cells of our body comprise completely of water. In fact, even our body comprising of 60% water, would cease to exist without water.
The proteins and carbohydrates are metabolized and transported in our body by water in the bloodstream. Increasing brain power to improving immune system, boosting heart health to regularizing body temperatures, it is just “WATER” all the way!!!
How aqueous are we?
Our lungs along with muscles and kidneys are the most-watery organs of a human body. The former is made up of 83% water, while the latter two are almost 79% water. The brain and heart are 73%, whereas the skin consists of 64% water. Surprisingly even the bones are made up of 31% of water.
Water consumption our body needs
A male need to consume about 3 liters of water per day while a female need about 2.2 liters each day for being hydrated.
It is worth noting that all of the water required by a person does not have to come from only drinking liquids. A reasonable amount of water demand of the human body is fulfilled by the food we eat.
For stabalizing the energy level in the body, our body needs high water content level. This energy must be required for lifting weights and regular exercise which could be the best routine for healthy life.
Why the body needs water?
- Blood that is used to carry oxygen throughout the body is 90% water.
- Water regularize secretion of hormones and formation of neurotransmitters.
- Cartilage in joints and spine-disc is 80% water. Water is necessary for their lubrication and for shock-absorbing ability to function properly.
- Saliva that helps in digestion and keeping the mouth moist is made up of water.
- When a body is heated up, water stored in the middle layers of skin comes to the surface and evaporates so that the body temperature is maintained.
- Water controls the acids in bowels so that the digestive system works properly.
- The minerals and nutrients dissolve in the water and reach different organs they are intended to reach.
- Regular water consumption prevents kidney that is used to regulate different fluids from damage.
- Water also helps in keeping your skin healthy and prevents different skin infections and premature wrinkling.
Signs of dehydration
We get thirsty and start feeling dehydrated as soon as 1% of our body water is lost. These are the first symptoms implying that the body needs water. Some of the symptoms of dehydration have been mentioned below.
- Feeling thirsty
- High body temperature
- Dry mouth
- Fatigue and irritability
- Irregular heartbeat
- Dry skin and sunken eyes
- Cramps, headache and joint pain
If any of the symptoms are visible in an individual, it is advisable to drink water or any fruit with high water content at the earliest.
Tips to stay hydrated
Being hydrated is of utmost importance as it plays a pivotal role in almost every body function. Following are few habits that would help to keep yourself hydrated throughout the day. Follow some nutritional diet that includes food with high water level like watermelon, oranges and pineapple.
Drink fluid: Drink water and other fluids regularly. Coconut water is another good option. Refrain from drinking beverages like coffee and tea as it will fasten up dehydration.
Eat High-Water Content Food: Include fruits and vegetables that are high in water content in your diet. Vegetables like cucumber, spinach, tomato and fruits like watermelon, muskmelon, peaches have a high percentage of water.
Oral Rehydration Salts: ORS are easily available at pharmacies and can be bought without a doctor’s prescription. They boast of electrolytes and glucose in high concentrations. They can provide instant relief from dehydration during sickness or after a workout session.
Water is very much essential for the body to function properly. We should proactively try to keep ourselves well hydrated so that we receive all the benefits of water.
Along with hydration, there are many other benefits of water that the body will eventually get by maintaining a good level of daily water intake. Water helps you maintain peak physical condition and brain function. Inculcate a habit of drinking the required amount of water each day to enjoy all the health benefits that water offers you.