Imipramine is a medication from the tricyclic antidepressant drug class primarily sold under the brand name Tofranil used to treat mental disorders such as depression, anxiety, panic disorder and also treats bedwetting. This medication is consumed orally (Kuhn, R., 1958).
Bedwetting is the condition that leads to involuntary urination. Tofranil is the medication that is FDA approved mainly used for children above the age of 6. This medication relaxes the bladders, which disrupts the flow and does not lead to bedwetting. It is effective for enuresis that is bedwetting as it acts through anticholinergic action on the bladder. This medication takes about 4 to 6 weeks to start its working process. (Saraf, K.R., Klein, D.F., Gittelman-Klein, R. and Groff, S., 1974)
How Does Imipramine Work?
Imipramine is a drug that treats bedwetting and mental health disorders such as anxiety, depression, and panic attacks. It works by increasing and maintaining the naturally occurring substances in the brain that ensures mental stability (Fleiss, J.L., 1977).
- In the case of pregnancy, imipramine is safe for consumption; however, do consult the doctor before taking this medication.
- For breastfeeding, please do not use this medication as it can affect the child.
- Do not take this medication if used MAO recently or within 14 days.
- Used SSRI relate antidepressants recently
- Allergic to antidepressants
- If you have suffered a heart attack lately
- Diagnosed with bipolar disorder
- Suffer from UTI
- If suffering from any kidney-related issues.
- This drug is not safe for consumption in the case of children below the age of 18 for depression.
- This drug is not safe for children under the age of 6 for bedwetting.
These are the few critical warnings that one must remember before taking this medication.
How To Take Imipramine?
The dosage of imipramine depends on the following aspects:
- Other health conditions diagnosed
- Treatment through this drug
- The intensity of the condition
- Age factor
- Before consuming medication, do check the label or the leaflet of the
- You can injest this medicine with or without food but in the case of nausea,
- take this drug with food.
- You can take the capsule directly or dismantle the capsule and inject the
- Swallow the medication directly and do not chew it.
The dosage depends according to the condition, which is as follow:
- In the case of bedwetting
- Dosage for pediatrics (6-11years)
- Initial dosage: The initial dosage of this medication is about 25mg taken an hour before bed.
- Maximum and maintenance dosage: The dosage is increased to 50mg if the beginning dosage is ineffective.
- Dosage for the age group (12 TO 17years)
- Initial Dosage- The initial dosage of this medication is about 25mg taken an hour before bed.
- Maximum and maintenance dosage: The dosage is increased to 75mg if the beginning dosage is not effective.
- In the case of depression
- Initial dosage- The suggested initial dosage is 75mg.
- Maximum Dosage- The maximum dosage of this medication is 200mg to 300mg, which can be increased due to severe conditions.
- Maintenance dosage- The dosage of this medicine is increased subsequently to 150mg and further under the medical practitioner.
The dosage should be taken in the recommended amount and should not be stopped without consulting the doctor or can lead to withdrawal symptoms.
This medication varies from common to adverse side effects, which are as follows:
Adverse Side Effects:
- Increasing the enuresis
- Hallucination or euphoria
- Memory impairment
- Allergic reaction
- Eye pain
- Doubled vision
- Seizure or epilepsy
- Pessimistic thoughts
- Worsening the depression
If you deal with any of the issues mentioned above, contact the doctor as quickly as possible or contact the near helpline number.
Common Side Effects:
- Nausea vomiting
- Indigestion or acid reflux
- Sweating and palpitation
- Loss in sexual performance
These symptoms do not last for a long time and fade away in about 3 to 4 days.
- In the case of bedwetting, the condition can reactivate if stopped taking this medication. So, stop only under doctor`s surveillance.
- These drugs can interact with other medications. If suffering from any medical issue, do confab with the doctor regarding it or can be lethal.
- Please do not stop the consumption midway as it can worsen the side effects.
- Don’t over-dose on this medication can lead to lethal effects.