Trazodone is an antidepressant that belongs to the antidepressant class, which can be termed as Serotonin inhibitors antagonists and reuptake (SIAR) that primarily treats major depressive disorder that aids mood swings, energy levels, appetite, reduces anxiousness, or even may help to deal with insomnia.
How Does Trazodone Work?
This medication works by increasing or balancing serotonin levels in the brain, which relieves one from distress and improves the frame of mind.
- Do not use trazodone if on any other medication such as sleeping pills, and if so, then confront the doctor prior.
- If you are allergic to trazodone or if you are undergoing treatment with methylene blue.
- If taken MOA (Monoamine oxidase inhibitors), do not consume this drug within 14 days as it can lead to a dangerous reaction.
- The medication can also trigger suicidal thoughts or pessimistic thoughts in the initial stages of consuming this medication; thus, keep in touch with the therapist or the doctor regarding the updates after using this medication.
- Do not take this drug if belong to the age of 18 or below. The medication is suitable only for adults or can lead to harmful effects.
- Contact the doctor if you think that the medication is not suitable for you, which can be detected by adverse symptoms such as increased anxiety or panic attacks, major mood swings, hyperactivity, etc.
How To Take Trazodone?
The medication should only be consumed if prescribed by a medical practitioner and according to the specified amount.
The intake of this medication depends upon several factors such as age, treatment, other medicines, etc. however, in any situation, consult the doctor if facing discomfort.
The medication can be taken after a meal or snack in the recommended dosage.
In the beginning, the medication dosage is comparatively less, which is increased subsequently depending upon the factors.
The dosage for major depression is as follows:
- INITIAL DOSAGE – 150mg, which is divided per day.
- MAXIMUM DOSAGE- 400- 600mg per day that is divided according.
- MAINTENANCE DOSAGE- the dosage is increased by 50mg per week depending upon the intensity of the treatment.
Side Effects Of Consuming Trazodone
The side effects may differ from one person to another, which can be either common or adverse. Which are as follows:
Common Side Effects
The common side effects are:
- Doubled vision
- Drastic weight changes
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Insomnia or extreme drowsiness
- Inflammation or swelling
These are a few common side effects that do not stay for an extended period and heal within a few days but if not, then inform the doctor.
ADVERSE SIDE EFFECTS
The adverse side effects are:
- Allergies or rash
- Suicidal thoughts or depressive thoughts
- Might trigger or increase the anxiety, depression, or panic attacks
- Leading to unusual or dangerous intents
- Increasing the agitation or anger
- Vomiting or nausea
- Palpitation or irregular heartbeats
- Low blood pressure
- Erection that can last longer than 4 hours
- Memory impairment
These are the adverse effects that one might experience however is a rare case. For safety purposes, if undergoing any of the following effects, contact the medical expert or the health line number, i.e., 911, or refer to the suicide prevention health line number, i.e., 800-273-8255.
Do Not Take Trazodone If:
- Suffering from heart diseases
- Have a history related to suicidal thoughts
- I have diabetic issues as can increase the sugar dosage
- Diagnosed with epilepsy
- If pregnant as it cannot be suitable for the unborn child
- Any blood-related disorders
These are a few aspects one must remember before taking this tablet.
Trazodone is an interactive medication, and thus, mixing any other medicines with this drug can be lethal. For precautionary purposes, do not consult the doctor beforehand if on any other medication. The typical drug interaction with trazodone are:
- Antidepressants such as fluoxetine
- Sleeping pills or sedatives
- Medicines for epilepsy such as phenytoin
- Medication for treating HIV such as ritonavir
- Heart medication such as digoxin
- These are a few drug cautions.
- NSAIDs medications
Overdosage: Can It Happen?
The dosage greater than the recommended maximum dosage of 600mg is overdosing on the medication. Trazodone being an antidepressant from the SIAR class that is serotonin-based, can lead to a surplus level of serotonin in the brain that can cause chemical imbalance resulting in ‘serotonin syndrome’ that can cause life-threatening effects. Other than that, there are other effects that one can experience.(Gabriel, L. and Jacques, J.M., 2001)
Overdosage Side Effects
The side effects that one may experience is namely based on the factors that are
Blood Vessels And Heart-Related Issues
The overdosage of trazodone can lead to severe chest pain and palpitations due to irregular heartbeat. This medication can also lead to lowering blood pressure which can result in unconsciousness.
The Chs (Central Nervous System)
This medication directly impacts the CHS as it increases the happy hormone present in the brain. However, an excess can lead to fatal effects such as coma, body tremors, epilepsy, chronic headache, etc.
Treatment If Overdosed
In case overdosed or undergo any of the mentioned symptoms, inform the doctor immediately.
If your close one is suspected of overdosing, call 911 or poison control as fast as possible.
When confronting the medical practitioner about the overdose, mention the amount and other details.
Do not panic; trazodone overdosage is manageable.